Thursday, September 29, 2011

Wonderstruck

This week, I had found a treat on my holds shelf - Brian Selznick's new book Wonderstruck! Admittedly, I loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret (his previous novel and winner of the 2008 Caldecott Medal). So I expected to love this one and it has not disappointed. It is similar to its predecessor in so many ways - historic setting, a mysterious, sentimental adventure, boy and girl main characters and of course, beautiful illustrations. It manages to deliver a similar cinematic reading experience without feeling like a copycat.




I can't wait to recommend this to tween readers, especially those who track their reading success in page numbers. At just under 630 pages, it's an accomplishment! Plus the prolific illustrations have great appeal for the visually inclined reader and/or artist. Okay, I'll stop gushing. You can find the book in our catalog. Enjoy!