Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Drowned Cities

I'm about 200 pages-deep in The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi. The novel is set in the same world as the Printz-winning Shipbreaker, but the focus has shifted from the Gulf Coast to the East Coast. The protagonists are 'war maggots' (the dystopic slang for war refugees) Mahlia and Mouse, who have grown up under the tutelage of Dr. Mahfouz. The primary conflict on the Eastern United States is between the pacifist 'Peacekeepers,' whose philosophy the doctor follows, and two savage gangs run by warlords bent on domination of the region. Chillingly, one gang reminds me of the 'boy soldiers' inAfrica.
Shipbreaker was good, but it didn't bowl me over like I thought it would. I've found myself far more wrapped up in The Drowned Cities; overall, it pulls less punches, and the there is a much better job done with worldbuilding than in the earlier book. Paulo Bacigalupi's future waterlogged United States is well-realized, and the story has weighty themes like the nature of friendship and loyalty, the price of revenge, and the sacrifices required for survival. Even if you're suffering from dystopian burnout, this is a recommended read.