Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Popularity Files - YA Fiction

One of the fun parts of going through our collections after summer is not just getting some of the dusty duds off of the shelf, but also finding out what is most popular right now.  So this week, I made a list of the YA novels that have been checked out the most since July.  It was interesting enough to me that I though you all might like to see it too.
The top 10 are not too surprising, Dystopias and Suzanne Collins dominate.  Cassandra Clare, Pittacus Lore, James Patterson, Rick Riordan, Christopher Paolini and (still) Stephenie Meyer are not too shocking.  I kind of thought Veronica Roth's Divergent books would rank higher than #10 & 11, but I think they're still on the rise, I mean the third book in the trilogy isn't even out yet and there's already a movie deal in the works. Two books that I was so glad to see on the list came in at #13 & 14: The Book Thief and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  Very different books, The Book Thief is the story of an avid reader struggling to survive Nazi Germany and the Miss Peregrine's... is a fantastical story of a boy battling the demons that have tormented his family for generations.  Both are among my personal favorites and I'm glad to see they're among the favorites of our teen readers too! 
Here's the whole list in case you're curious:
1. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
2. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
3. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
4. The Son of Neptune, Rick Riordan
5. Clockwork Prince, Cassandra Clare
6. Twilight, Stephenie Meyer
7. I Am Number Four, Pittacus Lore
8. Angel: A Maximum Ride Novel, James Patterson
9. City of Fallen Angels, Cassandra Clare
10. Divergent, Veronica Roth
11. Insurgent, Veronica Roth
12. Inheritance, Christopher Paolini
13. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
15. The Alchemyst, Michael Scott